Republic is committed to peaceful and democratic action to pursue its aims. Republic believes that our principles and objectives rightly cross political boundaries and is committed to remaining unaffiliated to any political party or other political movement.
Republic believes in the following principles, which are inspired by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
- That all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of citizenship;
- Everyone has the right to take part in the government of their country, directly or through freely chosen representatives;
- All citizens should have an equal right to participate in the democratic process;
- The rights of citizens must apply equally, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, disability, sexual orientation, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status;
- The will of the people should be the basis of the authority of government.
Republic further believes that:
- Citizens have the right to be protected from tyranny, whether the tyranny of one or the tyranny of the majority;
- The British constitution should be based on the principle of popular sovereignty, so that there is no political authority above the people and so that the rights and freedoms of all people are protected and respected by our nation's political institutions.
Therefore we conclude that:
- There can be no place for hereditary public office in a democratic constitution;
- The Crown must be abolished and the British constitution must be based upon a new principle of popular sovereignty;
- The monarchy must be abolished and the position of Head of State must be a democratically accountable public office.
Do you like this page?